Today was Bug Day at Sam's school. Shuffie was kind enough to go on a bug hunt yesterday while he was outside working in his yard. He and Lili brought over one of the largest centipedes I have ever seen and also a pretty decent sized snail. They were both pretty impressive!
We decided to put them both in Sam's bug box so he could easily carry them into school today.
Yesterday, while they were transferring the bugs to their new home, I asked if they were sure that the bugs were safe in the box and wouldn't be able to escape. They all looked at me like I was nuts and said they weren't going anywhere. Fast forward to about midnight last night. I woke up to get some water and when I walked into the kitchen I noticed the door to the bug box was open and the centipede was missing. I had a small freak out...to say the least. Adam spent the next fifteen minutes looking for the bug and finally found him in our dining room. After that I had Adam secure the bug box door with some duct tape and set it out in the garage to spend the rest of the night.
This morning when the boys got up to get ready for school I was telling them about our bug adventure last night but reassured Sam that they were both back in the box and ready for him to take to school. As we loaded the car with our things for the day, Sam looked at the bug box sitting by the back door and said "I just don't like them..and what if they touch me? I'm not carrying them to school." I can't say that I was thrilled about even riding in the car with them so I wasn't going to push Sam if he really didn't want to take them. He went on saying, "I just want to find one and get daddy to 'dead it' and then I can take that one to school." I told him it was fine if he didn't want to take anything and promised him I would walk him into school and help him explain to Mrs. Walker why he didn't have a bug. As I expected, Mrs. Walker wasn't the least bit concerned about it and told him if he wanted to bring one another day he was welcome to.
Needless to say, Daddy released the bugs into the woods after work today and they haven't been missed by anyone in our house!


No comments:
Post a Comment