Thursday, August 5, 2010

No Naps Here!

Yes, I know, at first glance this looks pitiful and you are all wondering what kind of mother could I be? But before you jump to conclusion, let me explain. We have been trying to convince Sam that afternoon naps are a good thing for a few weeks but he just isn't having it. At his 1-yr checkup, Dr. Sherwood told me to lay him down and let him cry and that he would eventually fall asleep or if not then he would have some much needed alone time to play in his crib - his choice. (Another side note - some of you reading this might not be a fan of the "cry it out" method; however, Dr. Sherwood was my pediatrician and I trust her completely - if I didn't I wouldn't be taking my child to see her). She said his crying was "baby arguing" and I had to stand my ground and let him know who was boss. He is definitely sleepy enough to need a nap, especially since he is only 1 and doesn't take a nap in the morning, and will eventually fall asleep after about 15 or 20 minutes of tears.
On this particular afternoon, he had been crying for about twenty minutes when I heard him through the monitor - he had gotten sick in his bed from swallowing too much air because of all of his crying. I ran in and rescued him, of course, only to find out he wasn't finished. It got all over me so we both ran to the bathroom to get changed. I didn't want him running all over the house until he had a bath so I put him in the bathtub for a quick second while I changed clothes. As you can see, he wasn't thrilled about this either.
He is such a good boy and we have had very few issues like this with him EVER. I am all about picking battles in this life and I have definitely chosen to fight this one. I am sure that he will catch on and realize soon how much he needs this time of rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment