Today started out like any other normal day....that is until my cell phone rang while I was driving to work. It was my mom and I could hear Sam in the background saying "belly hurts" over and over. We thought maybe he just had an upset tummy and would feel better shortly but less than 5 minutes later she called back saying he had thrown up everywhere. Bless his heart!!! I whipped my car around and flew home to check on my baby.

She had changed him out of his yucky clothes and was about to give him a bath when I walked in. He still had a smile on his face and acted fine - he was even asking to wear his rain boots. Silly boy! As the morning went on he really slowed down and just wanted to sit in our laps. This was very unlike him to be so still and not long after he started running fever. I put a call into the nurse at Dr. Sherwood's office and she mentioned that we might want to bring him in for a strep test if he didn't start acting like he felt any better this afternoon.

Around lunch time his fever started to creep over 100, even with Tylenol, so I called to get him an appointment. Poor little guy didn't even make it to the doctor's office before he fell asleep in the car. We saw Dr. Cook since Dr. Sherwood doesn't work on Mondays and she suggested a strep test first thing. Within fifteen minutes it came back positive and I was having to decide whether I wanted to give him a shot or oral antibiotics. I felt so sad about signing him up for a shot but I knew it was really the best thing to do so he would start feeling better soon.

Some tears were shed over the shot but they dried up quickly when the sweet nurse mentioned a sucker. Since it was Sam's first penicillin shot we had to go out and sit in the waiting room for a while to make sure he didn't have a reaction. He savored every moment of that sucker while we waited and was such a good boy. I hope he feels better soon - it makes me so sad to see my baby sick!
No comments:
Post a Comment