Monday, July 21, 2014

Sam's Five Year Checkup

Today I took Sam for his five-year-old checkup with Dr. Adcock.  It has been a much-dreaded appointment around our house because of the shots Sam had to get before Kindergarten starts in a few weeks.
 

In hopes of adding some fun to his day, I took him on a date to McAlister's before his appointment.  We had a fun lunch outside on the deck and even got to watch some of the ducks playing in the lake behind us.  
 

This was the face that kept staring back at me as he nervously sat in the clinic's waiting room.  Nothing I could say or do was going to convince him that it wasn't going to be as bad as he was thinking.
 

The checkup went really well and then the dreaded shots came at the very end.  Since Didi is Dr. Adcock's nurse, she was the one that had to give Sam his shots.  She gave Sam the choice to have a different nurse give him the shots if he didn't want her to do it, but he chose her.  I think it was comforting for him to have someone familiar giving the shots, even if he knew they were going to hurt.  He was adamant that he didn't want to lay down, but instead wanted to sit up and watch as she put the shots in his leg.  (Is he really my child?)  He sure knows what he wants, though, and successfully sat up and watched the entire thing without shedding a tear.  He did great!
 


As if the relief of having the appointment behind us wasn't enough, we further celebrated with a trip to Toys 'R Us to pick out a prize.  Sam chose a remote-controlled Dusty from the new Planes movie. 
 
We ended up making the best out of a day that Sam had been so worried about for quite some time.  I enjoyed the time with my big boy and was so thankful for a great checkup.  You were so brave, Sam, and I'm so proud of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment