During Jack's second week of life we have been working on seeing more of this...
instead of this!
Last Monday night, the 14th, I laid sweet Jack down around 11 p.m. and didn't hear from him until 6:45 the next morning. When I rolled over that day and looked at the clock I couldn't believe my eyes. I was so excited for a long stretch of sleep and wondered if this would continue. Tuesday afternoon, the 15th, we had our first appointment with Dr. Saenz at the Mississippi Breastfeeding Medicine Clinic and found out that long nights of sleep were not in our near future after all. She determined that all of Jack's facial bruising from delivery was making it hard for him to shake the jaundice, which in turn caused him to sleep a lot and to be a lazy eater. She suggested that I feed Jack every two hours during the day and every three hours during the night in hopes of flushing out the bilirubin and getting rid of the jaundice. We left our Tuesday appointment with quite a task ahead of us! Friday the 18th we went back to see Dr. Saenz for a weight check and Jack had not only gained a substantial amount in such a short period but he was much more alert and eating great. What a difference a few days made!
I was so glad to get Dr. Saenz's help and know this will make things better going forward. Jack is still such a sweet baby and I love when he looks up at me with his big, dark eyes. We are still having fun trying to figure out who he looks like. I see many similarities between him and Sam but also some features that I think are definitely going to be different. I can't wait to watch him grow in the coming weeks and develop a personality. We love you, Jack!


No comments:
Post a Comment