Sam woke up pretty early this morning and crawled in the bed with me. I love our early morning snuggles and he was able to sleep for another hour or so. He was slowly waking up and coughing a little and before I knew it he had thrown up in the bed!! Oh no....we all know what it means when my kids throw-up. Surely strep had not struck Sam too, especially since we had just been at the doctor yesterday afternoon and she said he looked great! He had an appetite after we got him cleaned up so I tried not to start worrying yet.
Jack woke up shortly after Sam and I got up. He was burning up with fever and not a happy man at all. He just wanted me to hold him and snuggle. Holding Jack grew challenging as the morning went on and Sam kept throwing up - I needed more hands! By mid-morning I called Dr. Sherwood's nurse and after checking with Dr. Sherwood she said it would be best to bring Sam in for a strep test.
In hopes of avoiding more germs, I decided to leave Jack with Lili while I took Sam to the doctor. When we drove up at Lili's house Sam started saying he was about to get sick again. I quickly got him out of his car seat and we barely made it out before he started throwing up again. This time it was mostly foam and bile and when he finished he almost went limp in my arms. I panicked!! He never really passed out but was very weak and pale so I scooped him up and took him inside Lili's house for a minute. She got a cool wash cloth to place on his forehead and slowly but surely the color started coming back to his face and lips.
Poor Sam fell asleep on the drive to The Children's Clinic, but not before asking me a thousand times if he was going to have to get a shot like Jack did yesterday. I was pretty sure I knew the answer to that but told him we would just have to wait and see what Dr. Sherwood thought.
While we were waiting to see Dr. Sherwood, Lili texted me this picture of Jack. It was confirmation of how bad I thought he felt. He had been playing on his favorite truck at her house and just laid down beside it and fell asleep. He didn't sleep well at all last night so I'm sure he is exhausted.
Dr. Sherwood was shocked to see me and Sam back in her office after less than twenty four hours had passed since our last visit. She looked at his throat and said it looked bad and she couldn't believe how quickly he had gotten sick since it looked fine yesterday. Sure enough, Sam's strep test came back positive and he ended up being the second victim of the Penicillin shot in my family this week. He started crying long before the shot arrived because he had watched Jack's pain the day before and knew what was coming. I hated he was so upset but knew it was our best choice to help him feel better soon.
Go away, strep! You've been at our house long enough!


No comments:
Post a Comment