This afternoon, Adam and I met at my mom's house after work to pickup the boys and go our separate ways. Adam was going to head home with Jack while I took Sam to his swimming lesson. Right before we walked out the door, Sam decided he would show Adam how he could hop on one leg. He was doing pretty good until Adam asked him if he could do the same thing, just on his other leg. Sam hopped a few times across the family room and tripped and fell right into my mom's beveled glass table. It made quite a sound and at first I just thought he would probably have a big goose egg. My mom was closest to him and scooped him up and handed him to me. The whole time he had his hand on his head but when he reached out for me to take him from my mom the blood started gushing from his face. We quickly scooped him up and drove straight to the Emergency Room at the Batson Children's Hospital.
Thankfully we didn't have to wait very long in the emergency room. Once we got back into a room, both the doctor and a resident took a look at Sam's cut and decided he needed three stitches. Sam was a wreck once they said the word "stitches," but as soon as they put him in the papoose and started stitching him up he grew very calm and quiet and did great!
Everyone we dealt with tonight was so kind to Sam and went out of their way to be so sweet and make him feel comfortable. One nurse brought him a popsicle as soon as the doctor finished stitching him up...
...and another nurse wasn't far behind with some stickers!
Three stitches almost even with his left eyebrow.
Poor guy, he looks so pitiful!
Waiting to sign a few papers so he could be discharged.
Sam's first hospital bracelet (besides the one he had when he was born) and hospital papers.
Wow, what a day! This mama is at least ten years older from the worry and stress of watching her baby boy get hurt and get his first stitches. Today was definitely one of those days that I wished I could trade places with Sam and go through this pain for him. Driving home from the hospital, I started to tear up and Adam looked over and wanted to know what was wrong. I told him I think adrenaline got me through the hospital visit and once we left it all really hit me. My heart was hurting for all Sam had to go through tonight.
I'm so thankful that Sam's accident was only minor and something he will recover from quickly. He is also very blessed that his eyeball wasn't injured, as close as the cut was to his eye. After all this excitement, we are following the doctor's orders and taking the rest of the week off from swimming and getting some rest!





No comments:
Post a Comment